5/20/2011

'Pop Up' Quilt - An Entry for Blogger's Quilt Festival :: Spring 2011


I made this quilt almost 1,5 years ago. It made of hand dyed cotton fabric that I didn't like at first (but don't want to throw away), so I decided to cut it in small pieces, then bleached them in trying to make varieties scheme color of blues.`Such an experiment...but it turned out good. I had blue fabrics in many hues.

Most people always use cotton batting for their quilt. Since it's very difficult to find cotton batting in my country so I tried to use whatever available, in this case polyester batting. I also use my favorite cream unbleached cotton (similar with muslin).
It's such a journey to me for exploring quilting with polyester batting including a willingness to think out of the box.

I chose natural straight lines (organic lines) to quilt this piece.
The orange yellow binding is an accent color for the quilt.

It is pleasing to see how the scattered squares could add a unique design element -looks 'pop out'- squares and making you just want to touch it!
That's why I called this wall hanging 'Pop Up' :)


Thanks for stopping by my blog. Now, I'm off to look at all these other amazing quilts on the Blogger's Festival :: Spring 2011 here.

6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quilt and I love the way you experimented with the blues. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its very striking, almost 3d. Love the colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the texture this quilt has - along with your use of neutrals - the gray and white are really effective! The squares make me think of different skies or waters - something elemental! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your dyed fabric turned out after the bleaching, very pretty and they really do pop against the grey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful dyed fabric! Love the way this turned out!

    ReplyDelete